FULL RETAIL COMPETITION IS NOW AVAILABLE
From the 1st of July 2007 the selling of electricity if open to full retail competition. What this means is that you the consumer can purchase your electricity from any retail provider. Over the coming months you will see advertising (and most likely be bombarded by telemarketers) selling electricity. It is now your choice much the same as your telephone carriage. Energex is now only a distributor. they will continue to look after the poles and wires you see in the street but they will not sell you electricity (they now sell wholesale to the retailers). You will note that Origin Energy now send you your quaterly power bill.
SO WHAT DOES ENERGEX DO NOW?
- Energex is no longer an electricity retailer
- Energex owns the electricity network and will provide customers with network services maintaining the poles and wires and other infrastructure required to transmit electricity to homes and businesses
- Energex will continue to build and maintain the electricity network within our distribution area
- Energex is still your contact for loss of supply and electricity emergencies
- Energex is still responsible for restoring power after storms
- You continue to contact ENERGEX if you have an enquiry about our network (e.g. streetlight out)
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF AN ENERGY RETAILER?
- You buy your electricity from an electricity retailer.
- You can choose the retailer from whom you purchase electricity.
- You contact your retailer to arrange for electricity connection; Energex will conduct the actual physical connection.
- You contact your retailer for billing-related enquiries.
- Your account details will be managed and updated by your Retailer.
- Electricity retailers in Queensland must support community ambulance contributions and government rebates.
A full list of energy retailers can be found here
If you need advice on Full Retail Competition call us on 07 5522 2222 or contact us now.